Top 3 Hausa food and how to prepare them
Do not miss this chance to taste Top 3 Hausa food and how to prepare them! It’s one of the most delicious cuisines not only in Nigeria but whole Africa. You will miss at least half of the African cuisine culture if you don’t read this article.
Top 3 Hausa food recipes
READ ALSO: How to cook eggplant for baby food
These rice balls are the most welcome and most known Hausa food in restaurants. It’s usually prepared with the soft rice variety. You can see it served with soups, like Miyan Taushe and Miyan Kuka. If you want to prepare this dish, you must choose the soft rice.
- Medium or even short grain rice (must be soft)
- Water – should be enough quantity to prepare the food
- You just need to take a pan where you are going to prepare the rice and fill it with enough water. The water should cover the whole quantity of rice. Place the pot on medium heat.
- At the time when the first portion of water is dried up, you can check the quality of it by mashing the pieces between fingers. If the rice has even the slightest resistance, then you will need to cook it once more.
- If the rice is good, you will need to reduce the heat and add some more water.
- Once you are happy with how warm and melted the rice is, you can mash it with a spatula. You will need to move the rice from the far end to the sides to mash it.
- Take the mound of tuwo and fold it into the rice. Repeat the process until the tuwo is combined with rice.
- You will need to leave it for at least two minutes to cool down.
- Mix everything thoroughly and get the rice into balls and then into the plastic to prevent tuwo from drying up.
- You can serve the balls with Nigerian soup and Okra soup!
Masa or Waina
It’s one of the best dishes from Hausa food recipes. It’s also known as Rice Cake. This type of cakes is very popular in Northern parts of Nigeria. It may remind you of puff puff, but there is a slight difference between these two dishes. First of all, it’s the type of rice used for this meal. It’s the same as with tuwo. It’s very gentle and almost broken into particles.
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Dry yeast – 2 teaspoons
- Water – 2 cups
- Akaun – one half of a teaspoon
How to prepare?
- You will need to soak the raw rice in water and leave it overnight.
- You will need together sugar, Akaun, and yeast until they become one. Set aside the mixture to the warm area. It will need to stay there for 10-15 minutes at least.
- It’s necessary to drain the rice completely. Blend the rice with the mixture the above-mentioned ingredients to make a smooth batter.
- When everything is done, you can add the cooked rice to the mixture. The batter that you are about to receive with this mixture should be very thick.
- If everything is good, you can pour the batter into the bowl and leave it in the worm place for 8-12 hours.
- When everything is good, you can add salt and sugar if you want to. At the same time, do not forget to add some water to the mixture so, it could be a little bit more watery.
- Take a pan and heat it over the medium heat. Add a few drops of oil. After that, you will need to pour some butter depending on the size of the pan.
- The first side will need to be cooked for at least 3 minutes. After that, you will need to cook another side for at least 2 minutes.
- You will need to repeat the process until all the raw rice is cooked. After that, the dish is ready, and you can enjoy your meal!
It’s the real Northern Nigeria delicacy that you must try at least once in your life. It’s delicious dried shredded meat! If you know the previous two recipes, then you will like to know that Dambu Nama meat will complement Tuwo Shinkafa and Masa.
RECOMMENDED: How to make Abacha – Igbo food
Do not forget that the meat needs to be very tender. You will need to boil it for at least 2 hours on medium heat. It should almost melt in your mouth.
- Beef – 3 kilos
- Red pepper
- Spice seasoning
- Stock cubes
- Hot chili pepper
- Ginger powder
- Groundnut oil
- You will need to trim off all visible fat from the meat. It should be clean muscles with no fat at all.
- Cut the meat into big chunks.
- You will need to rinse the meat and put it into the pot. After that, you will need to get everything together in this pot, like red bell pepper, stock cubes, onions, salt sugar and cook everything. It should be cooked on the medium heat. The meat should be very easy to pull up when everything is done thoroughly.
- After that, you can transfer the meat to the cutting board. You will need to use forks to pull it apart.
- When the meat is shredded properly, you can transfer it to the large bowl. After that, just add one more stock cube. It’s also needed to add Ginger Powder, Hot Chili Pepper, and Suya. The ingredients must be mixed thoroughly.
- Take a frying pan and get some meat there with oil and pepper. The shredded meat, if it’s thoroughly sliced, then it will not take much time for cooking. Therefore, once the meat is fried, you will need to remove it from heat immediately. You don’t need the meat to be overbaked.
- That’s all! Your dried meat is ready to be served. You can try it with some drinks.
These are some of the best Hausa food and their names! Just try to cook one of them recipes and you’ll love it!